Friday, December 5, 2008

Installing the beast

It took me over 2 hours to get everything done. Wasn't it GTA4 I would have stopped the process and bought another game.

Hint: Download and read the Movie Editor and have a read through it while installing

My firewall send me never ending notices to which sites that game want's to getconnected during installation (didn't allow most of them to get through) but I'm still puzzling what those connects are for and what data they want to send.
In addition you need to create 2 accounts and the additional software and the recent updates for
a) Game for Windows-Live (for multiplayer gaming)
b) A Social Club account to publish and share your movies made with GTA4

And I just noticed GTA4 PC uses SecuROM as well. Search the Web for what SecuROM can cause.

After finally installing everything. I just got a simple error:
GTA4: FATAL ERROR RMN40

Browing the web relvealed:
RMN40- Windows XP: Need to have Service Pack 3 or higher to proceed.

Ok I didn't RTFM before, but I've really not planned to update to SP3.
Fears are high other (older) software might not work.

Ok, made a backup disk and then installed SP3.

After that I finally got it to work. Now I have to start playing the game to get the phone (you need that to get access to the movie editor) and get access to all areas of the game. Great to have some experience by playing the game on my Xbox before.

1 comment:

Ricky Lee Grove said...

Glad you have created a blog focused on GTA4 filmmaking. I think there will be a flood of machinima next year that comes from this game.

I've been reading that the release version of GTA4 PC is buggy and will might have several install problems. Apparently a patch is in the works. I had to update to SP3 for another game recently (Far Cry 2) and had the same fears you did, but so far it hasn't been a problem.

And, although securom is controversial, I've never had any issues with it.

Looking forward to reading more on your progress.