Saturday, March 28, 2009

Removed YouTube video Live! again

You all may know about the huge amount of YT videos that have been and are still removed due to copyright claims from music publishing companies. Unfortunately this had hit some Machinima even very popular ones like Jaydee's music video Helena which had several million views. I never expected this will hit one of my videos who never received such visibility and are well hidden in the far end of the long tail. I was really surprised when I noticed one of my music videos Psycho (Big Love Remix) had been removed due to a claim from Warner Music Group. Looks like there are indeed scanning everything. For sure automatically. In my case that was easy since I mentioned the song title (Big Love by Fleetwood Mac) in the description and tags.
Great YT offers an easy way to protest against the removal. They offer three option. First,they falsely identified the song. Second, you have a license to use that song. Third, you claim 'fair use'. Even not seeing a real chance they even look at those protest mails, I decided to give it a try. For sure they identified the right song, so I deceided to try the second option.
Not because I want to lie on them. For sure not. But due to a not widely spread information I had in mind, I indeed have a license to use that (and other) songs in my YT videos.
When starting YT here in Germany
in 2007 they made a deal with GEMA (a group like RIAA in the US) which grants us the right to use every music that GEMA represents (and that is nearly every commercially distributed music). There is some recent discussion if this contract is still valid, but I tried. I mailed them back their press release to see what happens. I was quite sure they'll ignore anyway. I can't tell you how surprised I was when the next time I checked (just about 1h later), that video was LIVE! again. :))
I never ever expected that. I still even don't believe someone really read that protest in person. For me it looks like they just take the protest and assume you are right (sounds crazy) and set that video online again. But maybe I'm wrong.










No comments: